Stephen Tremp, L. Diane Wolfe, Michael Di Gesu and Alex J. Cavanaugh have teamed up for a Blog Hop that focuses on health. This is an issue with many bloggers who have expressed gaining weight over the holidays and other negative health issues that they are dealing with. Here is a Blog Hop that can help us make 2013 a year that we can help turn the tides!
The Objective: Share with everyone something you have done that affected your health in a positive way. You can share an awesome low cal low fat tasty recipe. Post simple tips to lose weight. Or a testimony on what has helped like joining Weight Watchers. Recommend a routine like P90X or Insanity. Or stretches one can do while sitting in their office chair working or writing. We’re sure people have countless great tips and ideas they would love to share. To find the participants list, go to one of the host blogs and follow along. Here then is my contribution:
As many of you know, I have been maintaining a 67 pound weight loss for several years. It's easier now, because I have been living this way for so long, even trying to go back to my old habits for just one day doesn't work. I could write a book about this journey, but for the purposes of this blog hop, I'll narrow it down to a few tips.
- I hired a nutritionist to help me understand my body, my food issues, how much food I needed to eat each day to lose, and then to maintain. And to tell me what foods and food combinations to eat at each meal.
- I began to exercise a minimum of 3 times a week. I needed to find an exercise routine that worked for me, since I hate gyms and won't go. I love to dance, so that's what I do. I dance around my living room for a half hour, vigorously to get my heart rate up. Then I worked with a physical therapist (I have knee and shoulder issues) to use body resistance for weight training, since I won't use weights.
- I don't eat out very often, and when I was losing, it was even less. Eating out, no matter how healthy the choices, causes pounds to go on. I would eat at home, and then join friends for tea. Or a small salad, with oil and vinegar.
- I limited my complex carb intake to one serving per day.
- Last year I cut out sugar and white flour. I lost another 15 pounds without trying.